Thursday, January 28, 2010

Black Films

So why do most of the black films, with the exception of a few, contain drug and gangsta themes? Do we not have more to offer the cinema industry? Or is that all that will be associated with black films? Again, I know this is not ALL black films, i.e. Tyler Perry's productions, Spike Lee Joint. However, is this how we truly envision ourselves? A society of hoodlums? Or is that all that Hollywood wants to show? I believe the latter personally. I am pleased that black actors and actresses are getting better roles and better films. But it still bothers me that out of all the films Denzel Washington has done(42 films to be exact). He had only received an Oscar for Training Day, which in my opinion was not his best work. But I am glad he won (he also won best supporting actor for Glory).

I want to see black films grow and put up over a hundred million box office figures. I just do not want it to be for portraying negative actions. If we want negative stereotypes of blacks we can watch Fox News. I believe that black films will continue to grow and we will have more quality films. But only time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment