Sunday, August 11, 2013

Crunch Time!

It is getting close to the end! Let the countdown begin! Not going to lie. It is hard starting to make myself write all over again. I honestly love telling a story and sharing my words and creativity. But I have been plunged head long into a world of medicine. Which has left me very little time to write, create visions with my words. But I am back and committed to improving this hobby. A few quick updates...First thing, the woman who I love dearly is marrying me approximately 9 months! So we have a lot of wedding stuff going on! It has been great growing together and going through the ups and downs the past 5 years together. There is no one else who I would want to spend the rest of my life with. T-minus: 278 Days! It is going to be a wild ride these next several months for certain. On the medical side of things...I am in my last year of medical school and passed both written portions of my boards. WHICH IS AWESOME!!!!!! (For those who don't know what boards are, they are grueling 8 hour standardized computer exams in which you have to think quickly, concisely, answer questions correctly and get a high enough score to pass the exam) The reason why this form of modern day torture is so important is because medical schools have to prove that they have properly educated its medical students. So that way I can practice medicine without killing people. Otherwise it looks bad. Go figure. But its a hard exam and our future bosses, i.e. Residency Program Directors look at scores to help them assess whether we are worth training or not....And I have thoroughly rambled on enough about this. But I digress, I have passed them (praise Jesus!), and now onto the more pressing matters of applying to residency programs. Which entails taking a month or few weeks to go and work with as many residency programs as possible. To make a good impression so that way you can be granted an interview. In other words, a lot of money will be spent (i.e. gas, dry cleaning, application fees etc) between now and match day (Feb 10, 2014). It is an exciting time, deciding what kind of doctor you want to be. I have decided to pursue a career in Family Medicine and Neuromusculoskeletal Medicine with subspecialties in Sports Medicine and Pain Management. It will be a total of 6 years of training after medical school. I will be board certified in 4 specialties of medicine. But thats ok, because its honestly what my vision is for my future practice. But thats enough about that. On a personal note, not that this whole thing isn't personal but I wanted to share about my own struggle. I'm fat. And its a problem I have been striving to work on. I have been steadily exercising for the past several weeks now and I am starting to see some results in inches lost off of my body. I say this not for bragging rights or anything. But to share with you who also may have weight issues that you are not alone. There are a lot of factors that can be hindrance. But I promise you I will share with you what I learn about myself along the way. It is not impossible no matter how much weight you have on you. You can make a difference. You can change your life. You can lose weight too. But the catch is...you have to be the one to do it. I am understanding now more than ever, medicine is a team sport. Not the doctor dictating what you can and can't do, or what you can and cannot eat. We are a team, as a doctor I will help draw up the plays on the sideline and call them out to you. But you are the quarterback you have execute the play. You have to see how the defense is going to blitz and you have to make the adjustment at the line of scrimmage. But we are on the same team and we are striving to win. I promise I will be better so that I can make my patients better also. T-Minus 293 Days until graduation! Until next time. Live life to the fullest! Doctors Orders! Doc Q

No comments:

Post a Comment